Steve Blake Photography
I first met Katie after advertising on Linked-In for a Squarespace web designer. She was enthusiastic and quickly grasped what I was trying to achieve with my new website. Immediately, I was impressed by her knowledge and experience of using Squarespace and I felt comfortable leaving my project in her hands. Right from the start, Katie communicated effectively with me - checking out my requirements and updating me on progress. She was patient with my lack of IT skills and painlessly guided me through the process. At all times, I felt confident in Katie's ability to deliver what I wanted and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for her. Katie is efficient and works quickly. If there's a problem, she usually finds a 'work around' and is not short of imaginative ideas that improved upon my own. Katie is well organised and provided clear written and video guidance on how to manage my site after completion. I am very happy with the overall result and have no hesitation in recommending Katie Hamling as a Squarespace web designer and developer
Steve was originally looking for a website developer based in Cumbria so he could work closely with them and learn how to manage his site himself, post development. During our initial phone call I explained I worked remotely with clients from all over the world and provided training material in the form of a user guide and video tutorials and Steve decided this approach would work well for him.
Steve's site is content heavy and has a lot of products (greetings cards, bookmarks etc.) which needed different varients for both size and postage. Below is a list of the tasks carried out:
- Create a store for products (greetings cards, bookmarks, vouchers, calendars, workshops, placemats and coasters) and then a second store for gallery prints.
- Photoshop landscape product images so the full photo displays in the product page instead of Squarespace automatically cropping.
- Upload video to Steve's YouTube account and link to this
- Set up a mail subscription service on the site so Steve can keep his customers updated via email.
- Develop a blog so that Steve can write monthly newsletters.
I also used custom code to perform the following:
- Indent the tag line "creation inspired"
- Ensure the tag line also displays in mobile view
- Change font to keep it consistent throughout the site
- Remove the padding from the top of the individual produt pages so the text and image aligns
- Change 1 line of text to a different colour to ensure it stands out
- Change the text overlay so that it all looks uniform on the home page
- Stop text from hyphenating
- Ensure the social media icons display the same on both desktop and mobile in a line of 4
I worked closely with Steve and kept him updated every day to ensure he was 100% happy with every aspect of his site. Upon completion I created video tutorials and a personalised user guide so that Steve can update the site himself going forward.